Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Faulty Thimking -- Liberal Poll "Analysis"

Here's another bit of nonsense that annoys me lately --

Liberal pollsters erroneously conclude that if we've answered a poll by saying we're not delighted with the way Iraq is going right now, or not happy with George W. Bush, we must be "against the war" or "disillusioned," or "moving to the Democrats."

Hardly.


The poll questions are poorly written, if these are the kinds of answers some social scientist is looking for. I would answer a poll question like "do you think the war in Iraq is going well?" the same way as everybody else, but my support of the effort in the middle east remains unaltered. I'm not giving up, or abandoning the Republicans. And that's not what the polls asked me. They only asked if I thought the war was going well at the moment.

When "our boys" were on the Normandy beaches, Bataan, Iwo Jima and Okinawa, nobody was concluding that Americans were ready to give up and go home because it wasn't a cakewalk.